Cooking with Cannabis: Distillate
It’s that time of year again; Cold weather, pumpkin spice lattes, and getting cozy by a warm fireplace. What could make this any better? How about putting a little kick into your holiday baking recipes! In this Cooking with Cannabis series we will be explaining how to cook with different forms of cannabis and providing amazing recipes to try for yourself at home. From distillate to the old fashioned Canna-butter, we will demonstrate how to successfully (and safely) make tasty treats for the holidays!
You may have heard your budtender mention distillate while visiting Cult. Cannabis Co. It is a specific type of oil that mostly comes in syringe form due to the sticky, honey-like consistency. Distillate is made by using steam, vacuum pressure, and specific heat/boiling temperatures (depending on the cannabinoid) to isolate the extract from the plant. Using the distillation process leaves behind the plant matter and terpenes; giving you a flavorless, odorless oil.
One good thing about distillate is that its easy to dose your edibles since it comes in syringe form. Say you bought 1 gram of distillate that is 80% THC. 1 gram is equal to 1000mg, 1000mg x .80 = 800mg. If you split 800mg between 24 cookies, each cookie would be approximately 33mg THC. Depending on how potent you want your edibles to be, you may only need a quarter to half a gram of distillate. Be sure to use the marks on the side of the syringe to keep track of how much distillate you use!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 Gram of Distillate
- 1 Bowl or cup of warm water
- Oil or Butter
- Oil or Butter-based recipe
- With your distillate in its container, place in a bowl of hot water to warm the concentrate
- While the distillate warms, measure out the oil or butter (liquefied) to the recipe’s specifications
- Drop the gram of distillate into the oil or butter and mix thoroughly to ensure homogenization
- Place the combined distillate/oil or butter mixture into a microwave-safe dish and heat on medium power for up to two minutes to ensure all ingredients are combined
- Your oil is ready to be infused into your recipe
Now that you have infused your butter or oil with distillate, it is ready to use in any recipe that calls for it! We recommend this delicious recipe for Martha Stewart’s “To-die-for” Brownies.
MARTHA STEWART’S “TO-DIE-FOR” BROWNIES
- 4 Large eggs
- ⅔ C. Cannabis-infused oil
- 2 C. Sugar
- 1 ½ C. All-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. Cocoa powder
- 1 Tsp. Baking powder
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- 1 C. Chopped pecans
Martha Louise Stewart’s Chocolate Icing (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Butter a 9” x 13” baking pan; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat eggs on low speed. Add cannaoil and sugar, beating for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add egg mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in pecans and vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake until edges just start to pull away from pan, about 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Spread icing over brownies; allow to set before serving.
- 1 Large egg
- 2 ½ C. Confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tsp. Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted (use cannabutter if greater potency is desired)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,
- beat egg with 1 cup sugar on low speed.
- With mixer running, add 1/2 cup sugar and cocoa into egg mixture; mix well.
- Add remaining 1 cup sugar, vanilla, and butter; beat to combine.
Note:The amount of cannabis oil specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your cannabis oil and the potency you desire.