Dabbing is a way to consume marijuana concentrates; it is considered one of the more complicated forms of smoking. Due to the intimidating nature of the equipment, first time users may find it daunting.
A concentrate is a form of cannabis extract. The extraction process requires using solvents such as butane, carbon dioxide, propane, or food grade ethanol to strip the plant of cannabinoids. Cannabinoids are unique chemicals that are naturally created by the cannabis plant. That concentrated form THC, other cannabinoids, and terpenes are what dabs are made of. Some of the common types of concentrates are known as shatter
, live resin
and pull n’ snap
. The difference between them is the consistency (or texture) of the product. There are also extracts that are solvent free such as Rosin
. Concentrates must be raised to a high temperature to fully activate and feel its effects.
Equipment: Water pipe
– A good water pipe with proper water percolation will give you a clean, smooth hit. Nail
– You will need to find a nail that fits your paraphernalia’s gauge. Nails are usually made from 3 types of material: Ceramic, Titanium or Quartz. Preferences may vary depending on the user. Each type of nail has its benefits and disadvantages. Ceramic holds heat for a long time, but can be delicate and breakable. Titanium is sturdy, but they take a while to wear in. Quartz heats up quickly, but cools quickly too. Torch
– Culinary grade and mini torches are sufficient. Some prefer to use propane tanks that can be purchased at hardware stores. It must heat up the nail in a safe and efficient way. Dabber
– A small tool to apply your concentrate to the hot nail. Dabbers can be made of glass, ceramic or titanium. Concentrate
– the fun stuff! Once your rig is set up, the hardest step is over!
- Using your dab tool, collect a small amount of concentrate, remember start small! You can always get more.
- Exploring your tolerance is key, especially if it is your first time!
- Use the torch to heat a section of your nail.
- Be sure to point your flame away from your water pipe! Torching your glass piece can result in cracking or breaking!
- Once your nail is sufficiently heated, your nail will start turning red. Allow your nail to cool for 10 seconds, but no more than 30 or you will lose your heat.
- To determine the perfect nail temperature, explore, it will vary depending on nail, concentrate, and personal preference.
- (Note; flavorful dabs are best experienced at lower temperatures, the hotter your nail is the less flavor you experience because terpenes combust at lower temperatures than cannabinoids.)
- With your dab tool, touch the heated area of your nail, make sure to wipe as much of the surface area of your tool to ensure all product is used. Inhale simultaneously.
- Exhale and enjoy your high!
For more information on Dabbing, check out Episode 5 of the Podcast, “Are You High Enough For This” the link is posted bellow!